Common causes of residential fires in Lawrence and how to prevent them
There are numerous dangers you must keep in mind as a property owner. Fire is chief among them, as it can occur in various places and anytime. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States due to residential fires in 2021. That same year, there were in excess of 350,000 reported incidents. Thankfully, there are steps you can take to stay clear of them. Investigate the causes and how to prevent house fires in Lawrence.
What sparks residential fires in Lawrence?
Fires can sprout up anywhere and without notice, whether caused by a smoldering cigarette in a waste container or a neglected stovetop. Here are the leading causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Flare-ups in the kitchen are the most widespread types of residential fires in Lawrence and everywhere else. Unattended stovetops are the primary culprit, so always watch that smoking skillet when making dinner. It’s also worth nothing that throwing water on a grease fire will only make matters worse.
- Heating: Area heaters are well known for causing residential fires. Operating them for extended periods might result in inner components degrading and igniting. Placing heaters by combustible objects like blankets and drapery or using frayed cords will also lead to devastating results. Other types of heating, such as furnaces and fireplaces, might cause fires and ought to be inspected frequently.
- Electrical: Old wiring, faulty outlets, and overwhelmed extension cords are some ways electrical complications result in fires. If you detect burning smells, sparking, or flickering lights, get it investigated immediately.
- Candles: When there's a flame, there's the possibility of fire. Residential fires due to candles are still frequently reported and usually result from careless behavior. Placing candles next to flammable items like drapery or having them within the domain of a rambunctious pet will often produce disastrous results.
- Smoking: In spite of the overall reduction in smoking nationwide, it’s still an unquestionable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were a result of smoking in 2021. Falling asleep while holding a cigarette or throwing out smoldering ashes too soon can give rise to devastating results.
The primary way to prevent house fires in Lawrence is to be attentive at all times. Always keep an eye on things when cooking, never leave a candle unattended, and get rid of cigarettes properly. If you need to operate a space heater, do so in short intervals and use one that includes an automatic shut-off feature in the event it overturns.
Protect your family with a monitored fire alarm in Lawrence
You need to have smoke detectors on all floors and consider using more by bedrooms. But you can take your protection to another level with a monitored fire alarm. These modern safety features will not only recognize smoke but can also be triggered due to extreme heat. Additionally, considering they are part of your modern smart home, they’ll warn you and your monitoring representatives whenever an emergency takes place. This is a notable feature, specifically when you’re not home to hear the alarm and contact the fire department yourself.
Safeguard your home against common risks with a Vivint smart home in Lawrence
Upgrade the safety of your household today with a Vivint smart home. You can customize our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll be appreciative of the instant notifications to your cell phone and the peace of mind that comes with professional monitoring. Dial (785) 829-4689 to speak with a skilled Vivint professional.